Monday, March 7, 2011

Post 6: Response

Hello the article I chose to review is found here article!

This blog post discussed the requirements of the PLE Framework. It was helpful because I have not heard of PLEs before this class. I learned that PLEs must include:

Personalization: It should provide students with the ability to use different tools and services (software). The user is allowed to determine which tools to use and how to use them. It makes learning personal.

Social Features: It should provide opportunities for collaboration. Working with others is essential to the learning process, and PLEs are no exception.

Web 2.0 Concepts and Technologies: To develop a PLE Framework, several web 2.0 tools should be used (the author mentions RSS and openID).

Web Browser Platform: The author states, "with web browser as the platform, the independence of the operation system can be assured. This also enables PLEF to aggregate and integrate third-party services."

Mashups: The PLEF should allow the user to use several different services, such as widgets, feeds, and media.

Ease of use: A user should be able to easily navigate through the framework. If it is too difficult, the outcome won't be as desired.

This article was incredibly helpful in defining what exactly is a PLEF and what components are needed. The author was able to, very concisely define what steps a creator would need to include to have a successful framework. This is definitely something I would like to try in the future.

Hope everyone has an excellent week!

Sarah

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I too never really knew what I PLE was until I read about it in this class. I like the idea that the PLE is individually learner centered, but there seems to be a big overlap between the PLE and other areas such as a virtual learning environment and the use of tools in learning management systems. What is the title of the article you chose? I’d like to read a little more on how specifically to create a functional PLE. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah;

    I chose an article that pretty much talked about the same information as the one that you found. I, too, was not familiar with PLE at all and found these articles to be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey: I posted a link for the article- click article on the first line of this entry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,

    From what we read this week and looking through Mohamed Amenie's PLE links, it is hard to truly define what a PLE is because everyone has a different view. However the article you mentioned above definitely clarifies the main ingredients of a PLE. I really liked how you took the most important points and put into an easy format to read.

    I love the idea of PLE and I hope it takes off in schools across in the country. I particularly like the the personalization. This is key to keep students involved and motivated to succeed. I already have some project ideas I would love to implement using PLE. Do you have any ideas for elementary ed?

    Thanks for posting this!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you see this happening in your classroom? What technologies would be necessary? Can you imagine having the time to sit two students down during the classroom everyday?

    Would it make it practical for every student to have a laptop/tablet?

    Many of these things seem dependent on the access to technology

    ReplyDelete