Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Open source blog

Tux Math Scrabble: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tuxmathscrabble/files/TuxMathScrabble%202011/tuxmathscrabble-0.7.4.zip/download

This game could be used in a math classroom for grades ranging from 8th grade all the way through high school. Instead of letters, as typically used in scrabble, this game uses numbers, letters, and symbols (*+= etc) to create complex and simple equations. As soon as I saw scrabble, I knew this game would be right up my ally. It is AWESOME! You can play either by yourself (against the computer) or with a friend (taking turns). I really enjoyed playing this game so much that I didn't want to stop "reviewing it" to write this blog post!

This game could easily be used in an upper grade math class. The teacher could allow the students to use the program after they complete work at their seat or if they finish a test/assignment early. There are always students who seem to zip through everything given to them and are left sitting staring at the wall. This would focus their attention to a game that reinforces the lessons taught that day.

Though there are many great things about this open source, there are a few things that I would change. When I downloaded it, I had to sift through a great deal of text files to actually find the program. I don't know if it was something on my end, or theirs, but this was a minor annoyance. Also, there should be more options for leveling. The computer was a little too easy for more advanced high school students, but average high school students and advanced middle school students will enjoy this game. There should be more of a range of difficulty of the computer.

All-in-all, I think this game is super! It's a great deal of fun while still focusing on math and learning. A great educational tool for any math teacher!

Hope everyone enjoys hunting for open source software! Anything free is alright with me!

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    Interesting! I will have to recommend my teachers look at Tux Math Scrabble! Is the multi-player on a network, or a 2 to 1 environment?

    Is this applicable to an interactive whiteboard? Could teams of students play effectively?

    ReplyDelete