Monday, February 28, 2011

Post 5: Copyrights and Pictures- Response to outside ed tech blog

http://www.tammyworcester.com/TipOfWeek/TammyWTechTipOfWeek/Entries/2010/5/10_Tip_85_-_Image_Search_Engines.html 

Hello everyone!

I hope you enjoyed your February break as much as I did! Back to reality! :)

This week I am responding to a post about something I actually have issues with often in my placement, and that is image copy righting, citing, and even searching! Everyone, I'm sure, has had to go to the Internet to find images for a project (powerpoint, cover of a paper, lesson plans, etc) but have cited appropriately each time? I know, I for one, am guilty of not always citing my images when I use them for different projects, at the time I was unaware of the proper protocol. Now that I am a self-proclaimed ed-techie, I know better. At my placement, often, I see teachers showing students how to find images using google-images. I love google as much as everyone, but I've seen some pretty graphic pictures using the google-image search option. Are they filtering out all of the inappropriate images? Then my next question is, are these students citing these pictures? Do they know how to site pictures? Because I saw no direct instruction on this topic, I can only assume that the answer is no.

I looked through several ed-tech blogs and found this one to be quite helpful. Not only does it give an alternative site to google-images, but it shows how to find the citing information to make sure the pictures are free to use. This author has the image situation described right on the money! She knows that teachers need quick ways to get pictures for projects online, but also knows that it must be done safely and ethically as well. My first day of student teaching this semester, I spent 3 hours collecting images from various websites and digging for the necessary information to cite them as well. If I knew these websites existed, it would have saved me a great deal of time!

The blog that I am responding to has great posts on other sites and topics as well! Each week there is a new "tech-tip" for educators. Hope you enjoy this blog as much as I do!

Sarah

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for finding this! I often wonder about copyright with pictures too. I know at my school, the filter is really good. If the students google something in images, they are not able to see all the images.. only ones that have been able to come through the filter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there are filters in place, but I feel like you're just asking for trouble by sending them to google images... I would feel safer sending them to image sites geared for kids. Plus, having the source right under the picture is definitely a time saver!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sarah,

    Great find! I am guilty of this as well! Thanks for the resource.

    Thanks,
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so easy to just grab quick images off of google, but we need to set standards for ourselves, just as we do our students. We want our students to give credit to others, we have to do the same... it's time consuming and a pain, but worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah,
    This is a really cool blog. I am now following Tammy on my RSS, thanks for the resource. You brought up some very interesting points about copyright issues. We all fall victim to copyright issues, and like you said, some of us do not know how to properly cite images and we have our Bachelors degree! How can we expect students to know how to cite properly if we may not be able to! I think it's important to highlight to students how to read copyright information correctly, if we cannot actually teach them how to write it.

    Sarah, do you believe it is part of the technology teacher's curriculum to teach students how to cite on the Internet, or should this fall under the category of proper citing techniques in the English department?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good question laura! I think it falls under both. If you're a teacher, and you have a research project in progress going on, you should show your students how to appropriately cite their resources. In the same breath, if your a tech teacher and you see a student blindly taking images and paragraphs off the internet, you should show them how to give credit to sources. There are great sources out there that make citing resources so simple, so with the click of a mouse, an accusation of plagiarism is avoided.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, A great site to use with youe students is http://search.creativecommons.org/ this site offers a ton of free images that your students can us and not worry about copyright or citing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Dana!! I am ALWAYS looking for new ways to get images to the students, especially with the citing information right there! Anything to make life easier is a plus in my book!

    ReplyDelete