Monday, January 31, 2011

Essential Question 1: Blogging

It's been a long time since I've tried my hand at blogging, but I'm sure it will be a worthwhile practice. I have seen blogging in my student teaching placements since my undergrad experience, and they seem to be getting more popular by the minute. One teacher in one of the schools has a daily blog and part of the students homework is to read, research, and comment on each blog. I asked one student what they thought about the blog and would they like more of their teachers to offer this kind of homework instead of worksheets. The response I got was 100 percent positive. She said, "I like blogging because I can say what I really think and none of the other kids know who I am because we all have fake names. Our teacher knows who we are, but none of the students shared their names with each other. I'm shy in class, so it's easier for me to talk online." The names, I later found out, were computer generated and were usually animals (such as perky-porcupine, and gigantic-giraffe). I think it's a great way to get that shy student to say exactly what they think about a topic without having to think "what will my friends think? Is what I'm saying dumb?". Personally, I enjoy online class discussions much more for the same reason this student gave for liking blogs. I like to analyze exactly what I want to say before I say it, a traditional classroom discussion does not enable me to participate as fully as I would like to. Online, I can type out what I want to say, read and re-read it, and then check for spelling/punctuation, and then reread it again, and then post. Perhaps I over-think things?

I think blogs are excellent tools, especially for the shy kid or the over-thinkers like myself. Once students get into the higher grade levels, the teacher could make the blogs more independent. Instead of having the teacher blog and the students comment on the blog post, each student could have their own blog. They could elect to use their computer time (in centers or during study hall, etc) to write about what they're learning and experiencing in any particular class.

Blogs could also help parents become more involved in what the students are learning. The parents could also have accounts on whatever blog tool you're partial too, and post their feelings on the topic of the day/week/month as well. Any thing to involve parents in their child's education can't be a bad thing.

Because blogs are so easy to setup, maintain, and create, I would definitely (depending on age) make it a part of my classroom.

11 comments:

  1. Sarah;
    I like how you mentioned the aspect of being anonymous with blogging. I think that does has it's advantages at times. Students may be more willing to express themselves or participate more because of it.

    But I also like how with blogging, students can create their own personal accounts and have something that is their own that they can be proud of.

    I guess it can go both ways...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I had never heard of this idea for fake names before. I always just assumed that everyone would know who everyone is and that is how it's supposed to be, but I actually think that is a fantastic idea. The students get to see the other students ideas, yet you lose the hassle of children making fun of someone else.

    I am also one of the students who prefers to do my talking online. Maybe it feels safer for me, maybe I'm shyer than I thought, but it allows me to get out everything I want to say without interuptions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren: Thanks! I really loved that the students had the ability to remain anonymous BUT the teacher was still able to see who said what. She is still playing around with the idea of blogging, so I'll keep everyone posted as to what actually happens in the class.

    LBonilla: I really like to plan out what I want to say beforehand so I take my time before speaking. By the time I figure out what I want to say, the class has often moved onto the next topic. Blogging is the perfect solution for students like myself. I hope more classrooms utilize this tool in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,
    It is so great that you are able to see the technology used in the classroom like this - I wish I was as lucky!

    I had not thought of the anonymous names either - but I think it's brilliant! No judging other students' answers, no worries about online safety and identity, pretty neat! Plus, the names seem like they could be fun to create if the students would like that as well.

    The student that you spoke to said that she feels like she can speak freely and at her own pace and wouldn't get a chance perhaps to do so in class - this reminds me when in "Educational Blogging" that we read for this week in Educause Review by Stephen Downes it said:

    "The student who usually talks very loud in the classroom and the student who is very timid have the same writing space to voice their opinion. It puts students in a situation of equity."

    I also think that blogging for interaction with parents and guardians is a great idea!

    As for over-thinking things, I wish more people who write in online forums would "over-think" a little more besides just typing and hitting that send button without re-reading, editing, and posting. Oh well...

    Great post!

    ~Sean

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! It's so easy to quickly type something in an just submit, you can really tell the difference between a post that took some effort and one that was just to get the assignment done as quickly as possible. Anything worth doing is worth doing right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Miss.Marbach,

    I think the accountable anonymity is really clever! It has been my experience that students have a had time keeping passwords private, much less usernames! I actually like that aspect of this - keeping your ID private becomes a teachable moment.

    I am assuming that the class uses the blogs exclusively from home, is this right? Using blogs during instructional time would quickly unravel that anonymity, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, blogs are a great way for the "shy" students to really shine through. They are a perfect tool for students to express themselves and show their real personality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The students use them from their home computer... but the teacher brings up the discussions during class and uses the fake names. The students, in this particular class, like blogging and the teacher said she would take it away and they would write papers instead if they shared their usernames. I guess whatever works!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah,
    I love the idea of parents becoming involved in their child's or possibly child's teachers' educational lives. Often it is hard for parents to have an understanding of what their children are actually learning at school. I believe allowing parents access to see a blog, and not necessarily comment on the blog is a great way to give them a "bird's eye view" of what happens in the classroom - or digital classroom of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Sarah,

    I agree with Laura. I missed the value of adding parents to this equation! I would come home from school and my parents would ask what I learned today. I'd shrug my shoulders and stay, "stuff." What if I could show them? What if they were involved in the conversations? I still believe that parents have the greatest influence over students. Rather than there be a disconnect between what goes on at school and home, blogs could bridge that gap! GREAT POINT!!!

    - Jon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarah,

    I definitely agree that including parents is big plus. Will parents actually be involved, is another story, but for those who do involvement is great. I think it adds to the anonymity as well, if parents have fake user names and they were to post. I think that when a class is getting to blog trust is an important factor. I am sure that the teacher would first build that trust in the classroom and then plan for a blog. I have a teacher, that wants to now setup a wiki for the students and I think that it is because of establishing the sense of trust in the classroom. On the other hand, I know a third grade teacher that has been blogging for months now, but her ‘Catch 22’ is that she has to ‘Approve’ each post a student makes in order for it to be published. The teacher receives and e-mail each time a student posts, she has to read it, and then approve it to be published. Overall, I think that by involving parents would also get rid of any uncertainties among parents as to what their kids are doing when they are blogging, as least for school purposes and as Jon said, they could see what children are doing at school instead of a shrug and “Nothing” or any other word. My daughter’s line is, “My brain doesn’t remember.” She’s only in Kindergarten, so boy do I have so far to go still.

    :)
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete